“BUILDING A LIVING FAITH”
at United Church of Cookeville
Rev. Gene Skipworth – Leader
(Sundays) May 4 to July 27 – 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
To “Build a Living Faith”
To develop a sound faith with which to meet the demands and conflicts of this day and age.
To build a faith which will be a source of strength for the questions and challenges of this day and age.
An opportunity/invitation to share in the spiritual bounty of Scripture and the many resources of biblical scholarship.
To absorb that spiritual bounty through thoughtful, diligent, and intentional Bible study.
(A time for discussion, reflection, study and a time to share)
· your thoughts
· what you have been reading
· what you have heard that needs to be shared
· the Scripture text that should be expressed to others
· the Scripture text that spoke to you
· the Scripture text that creates a question or challenge for you
· readings and reflections on the writings of biblical scholars in the books of:
Jesusgate by Bringas
Sources of Strength by Jimmy Carter
Jesus, Interrupted by Bart Ehrman
Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman
What Your Minister is Afraid to Tell You About the Bible by Terry Cain
Jesus by Marcus Borg
Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter
Reclaiming the Bible for a Non-religious World by Spong
(other writings, books, and meditative resources that you might want to share.)
· We have an “ah ha” moment of discovery of a new way to express who we are in Christ.
· We discover a new meaning to a treasured spiritual gem.
· We discover refreshing ways in which God speaks to us.
· We become equipped to meet challenges and “the dark” moments of our lives.
· We gain new strength/faith in the living of these days.
· We experience the joy of being with fellow seekers and searchers as we share our journeys of faith.